Tamara offers consultations and training in-person and remotely. These are approved for Continuing Education Units through University of Pittsburgh RSTCE department, and can be customized according to need and population. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your interest and requirements for more information!
General resources pertaining to 24-7 posture care management follow.
“Lying Posture for Successful Seating Outcomes” was taught by Tamara for the International Society of Wheelchair Professionals (ISWP) on March 29, 2023. Click here for the recording
Recording of Abby Jarvie, 24-7 PCM user, sharing her experience at a RESNA Special Interest Group Zoom meeting (Passcode: J.+PA8?F): Click here
Made for Each Other: Kids, custom seating and 24-7 Posture Care Management (Free CEUs for OTs, PTs and ATPs)
Register for this free, 2-hour webinar, approved for CEUs through the University of Pittsburgh Rehab Science and Technology Education program. A big thank you to Ride Designs/Aspen Seating for making this available with no paywall!
The Posture and Posture Ability Scale (PPAS)
The Montana Postural Care Project
This paper summarizes the results of a three year pilot project followed by a one year Training Trainers project in a rural, less resourced state. Read the paper presented at the International Seating Symposium.
For families and caregivers
Are you looking for a good entry into the world of night postural care that is easy to access and can fit into your busy life? Check out Introduction to 24 Hour Postural Care by Trish Toole, OTR/L, ATP, and her son Alex. Follow this link and ask to join the Facebook group for access to 7 practical lessons that will get you started!
- Postures and Pain: A Day in Kelli’s Life
Kelli shares her personal experience as an adult living with secondary complications of cerebral palsy.
- An Introduction to Postural Management at Night
- The Problem with Hips for Children with Cerebral Palsy
- 24-Hour Posture Care Management: Supporting People Night and Day
This article provides a primer on the history, health benefits and implementation basics of 24 hour therapeutic positioning. Thank you to Rehab Management for helping get the word out!
- “24 Hour Postural Care in Peru: Empowering Families Caring for Children with Disabilities” is a lecture given by Tamara as part of the Global Public Health Minor lecture series at the University of Montana in 2017, and recorded by MCAT.
- The Montana Postural Care Project – Model and Year One Results
This paper was presented at the 2017 International Seating Symposium.
- The Montana Postural Care Project – Model and Year Two Results
This poster was presented at the 2017 Division for Early Childhood National Conference, and at the 2018 American Occupational Therapy Conference.
- Tommy’s Story – Postural Care for Adults
Tommy’s Story is shared with the kind permission of Bas Jansen of Perth, Australia. It is an example of the huge benefits to be gained through 24 hour postural care, when a team approach with trained caregivers is used. Bas has confirmed that the results seen were not due to any therapy or surgery – just therapeutic positioning.
- A YouTube video explaining chest distortion, by Bas Jansen – gravity, asymmetry and time take their toll. But we can do something about it!
- Why Does Postural Care Work in Wakefield?
Shared with kind permission of Suzanne Carter, Wakefield County Health Authority.
- Postural Management Consensus Statement
This consensus statement on 24 hour postural management for children with cerebral palsy was published in Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology in 2006.
- Mechanical Supports Guidelines
Are you wondering about the difference between postural supports and restraints? Many people have this concern. These guidelines were developed as an official document for the Montana Developmental Disability Program. Be sure to check out the Appendix Description of Mechanical Supports
- Useful Materials for Bed Positioning
This document lists materials and items that can be used as postural supports in night and day postural management. Commercial sleep systems are nice but costly and funding can be difficult to find. These materials can be used very effectively; they are demonstrated and discussed in Montana Postural Care Project and Posture 24-7 workshops.
- By popular demand
Follow this link to a document with more details about Complete Feet used as knee pillows, with photos of them in use.
- Adapting Complete Feet for knee/thigh support – A YouTube video demonstration